Important Information For Proper Saliva Sample Collection
- Do not let your dog eat for 30 minutes before sample collection.
- Do not let your dog drink for at least 10 minutes before sample collection.
- Do not scrape your dog’s cheek or teeth with the sponge.
- Do not let your dog chew or bite the sponge.
- Only let the sterile sponge touch the inside of your dog’s mouth.
Remove the collection tube from the packaging, holding the tube by the end with the white label.
Be careful not to touch the saliva collection sponge to avoid contamination.
Place the sponge in your dog’s mouth in the cheek pouch (see illustration).
Collect saliva on the sponge for 30-60 seconds by moving the sponge gently and mopping up saliva.
A) Hold the tube upright and unscrew the cap with sponge from the tube.
B) Turn the cap with sponge upside down and place the sponge in the tube.
Screw cap on tightly – until it will not turn further – to prevent the liquid from leaking during transport.
Take care not to spill the liquid or touch the sponge. The DNA preservation liquid is not hazardous.
Tip the tube upside down and then right side up 10 times to mix the sample in the liquid.
Write your last name on the tube and put the tube in the small ziplock bag. Mail it back in the prepaid envelope.